19 February 2010

On the road again: Hong Kong, Australia

Tracing the Tribe's first-ever trip to Hong Kong and Australia begins tomorrow and I'll be blogging every day.

In Hong Kong, my schedule includes:
  • Wednesday, February 24, 8pm, at the Jewish Community Center: "The IberianAshkenaz DNA Project: So You Think You're Ashkenazi?"

  • Thursday, February 25, 8pm, at the Jewish Community Center: "Introduction to Jewish Genealogy," for the community.

  • During the week, I'll also present "Intro to Jewish Genealogy" for students at Carmel College.
I'll do some sightseeing (weather permitting), enjoy the cuisine, meet interesting people and spend Purim in Hong Kong. Of course, I'll be blogging, so stay tuned.

On March 1, I fly to Melbourne, Australia, for the Second Australian National Jewish Genealogy Conference (March 7-9). I'm honored to have been invited for this event and look forward to seeing the Australian Jewish genealogy community.



My presentations include the IberianAshkenaz DNA Project as well as social media for today's genealogists.

Friends and family are part of the Australian schedule, including cousins who come from Bobruisk, Belarus and from America (in Sydney). I'll be visiting the Sydney cousins for the second part of my trip, and may do some additional talks there.

On the return flight, I will speak on MyHeritage.com, presenting an overview of its tools and features and encouraging people to participate in the new Beit Hatfutsot-MyHeritage.com partnership.

Family trees created with a special version of the free MyHeritage software will be periodically transferred to Beit Hatfutsot for digital archiving for ever.

This should be a very exciting trip, new sights, fascinating people and much much more.

Blogging will be on the menu in Australia as well.

Readers who either live in these destinations or who have been there before, are invited to suggest their favorite experiences - things to see, places to eat, etc.

Next week in Hong Kong!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Schelly

    Have a wonderful trip and don’t forget to post ALL your experiences with pictures

    We envy you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:25 AM

    Hi Schelly,
    I'm from Sydney & I'm going to Melbourne next week for the conference. There is a very good Kosher restaurant in Melbourne, Kimberley gardens, which is also a hotel. I stayed there on my last trip to Melbourne last month.
    See you at the conference.
    Stuart Shaw

    ReplyDelete