Calgary marked the 120th anniversary of the arrival of the first Jewish settlers as a crowd of 2,000 viewed the dedication and grand opening of the Little Synagogue on the Prairie, built in 1916 to serve the Montefiore colony of Eastern European Jewish farmers.
Years of research and planning and more than $1-million in donations transformed the synagogue from its former use as a private home in Hanna into the first Jewish house of worship to be housed in a Canadian historic park.
Although the Montefiore settlers had a difficult time farming, they used their resources to build the synagogue to celebrate the freedom of religion they had found in Canada.
Rabbis and representatives from all four Calgary synagogues joined forces in leading prayers.
Read the complete article here.