Both January and February registration are now open. The February Basic Jewish Genealogy class covers the following topics:
1. Introduction to Jewish Genealogy (glossary, Hebrew calendar and dates, handwriting, languages, life cycle, records, sources, etc.)
2. Tools of the Trade (charts, soundex, databases, reference books, software, Internet, interviewing and reading tombstones, etc.).
3. Jewish Geography and Names (maps, name origins - Ashkenazi and Sephardic, etc.).
4. Geography and Archives (border changes, types of documents, access documents, Sephardic, Holocaust, Yad Vashem, etc.).
5. Emigration (reasons for, origins, transportation, travel, Hamburg, Ellis Island, name changes, Ashkenazi and Sephardic, etc.).
6. Immigration (arrival information, creative spelling, naturalization, Western Europe, Africa, Australia/NZ, South/Central America, Israel, contemporary from Russia and Moslem countries, etc.).
7. Searching (major websites, general, Ashkenazi, Sephardi, etc.).
8. Culture of Remembrance (connecting, learning, sharing, privacy issues, publishing, etc.).
The four-week class is an easy, practical way to learn the essentials and begin making major discoveries.